Friday, November 16, 2007

I Lost My Blood Meter

This past weekend we (me, my wife Marion, and my 6-year old daugher, Caitlin) flew home to New Jersey for my cousin's wedding. The wedding was on Saturday (Nov. 10th) and we had a good time.

On Sunday, November 11th, I lost my Accu-Chek Aviva blood meter. Actually, my wife thinks she lost it. I'm somewhat enjoying the fact that it might have been she that lost it and not me. :-) Though we're really not sure exactly what happened.

That morning I drove my sister to the airport at 7am. I had done a blood test before leaving my mother-in-law's house. When I got back from Newark airport a little over an hour later I did another test and left the meter on the dining room table. Marion, Caitlin and I left to meet friends of ours at IHOP in Menlo Park at 9:30am. I know I left the meter on the dining room table figuring I wouldn't do a test until we got back from breakfast and so I wouldn't have to carry it.

After breakfast with our friends we stopped at the Super Target at Menlo Park so Marion could buy a new purse. The zipper had broke on her old one the day we arrived in N.J. Near the checkout lines she sat at a table to move her stuff from one purse to the other while Caitlin and I hit the restrooms. We then drove around checking out our old homes in Edison, N.J. where we both grew up.

It was getting late (around 1pm) and we were suppose to meet up with Marion's mom at her house to drive an hour up to northern N.J. to a party at Marion's cousin's house. So Marion called her mom to say we would meet her at her sister's house and then head up all together from there. Before calling her mom Marion asked if I needed her mom to bring anything and I said, "oh yeah, tell her to bring my blood meter." Marion gasps and begins frantically searching her new purse. She says, "I think I lost it." I said no I left it on your mom's table. She says she thinks she saw it there and put it in her purse - the old purse - in case I needed it. But she's not sure. And it's not in the new purse. Which means if she did take it, it was either in the old purse or fell out on the seat or floor of the table in Target. But she wasn't sure.

So, long story short when we got home to mom's house late that night, sure enough, we couldn't find the meter. I called Target's lost and found the next morning, and several times since then, and they don't have it. We called IHOP. We looked in the rental car. Nothing. It's gone.

What's strange is that usually my wife would have said something about grabbing the meter to me. Like, "hey, I grabbed your meter in case you need it." But she never said anything. However, the meter is missing and she made the statement that she lost it, So......

I have a backup meter but it was 2000 miles away in our house in Colorado. So, using my pump and carb counting I tried to control my blood sugar the best I could. Our flight home was on Monday so not too long to be without my meter. Luckily my mother-in-law lives in a senior community that has it's own clinic so Monday morning I was able to have one blood test. I was 125. Not too bad for being without a meter for 24-hours at that point.

Unfortunately my favorite lancet device, the Accu-Chek Multiclix, was lost with the meter too. And the damn thing is expensive at around 28 dollars (USD). So for now I'm using one of my old lancet devices from my Flash meter.

No comments: