Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Day and turkey dinner

My family and my brother's family had Thanksgiving dinner at my parents apartment. We had the typical turkey dinner with all the trimmings. I was careful not to overeat. I didn't have seconds as in years past. Still trying to keep my weight down.

After dinner we had desert and I had my share of pumpkin pie, ice cream, apple pie and some chocolate rice krispie treats that my sister-in-law made. All the while trying to estimate carbs and set the pump bolus accordingly and testing my blood sugar. I managed to keep my BG in the 120-140 range all evening.

When it was time to leave (about 9:30pm) I did a blood test and discovered that my blood sugar was now 66. So, I drank a Starbucks frozen cappuccino drink (about 40 carbs) which usually brings my BG back up to around 150 (when I'm in the 60-80 range). I tested when I got home and I was 130.

Several hours later as I was about to go to bed I tested one more time and discovered my blood sugar was 365! What the $%%&*$ ??? I had not eaten anything since the Starbucks drink at my parent's house. So much for being so careful all night. Just goes to show that an insulin pump is not the cure-all some people think it is.

No comments: